THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
TO FACILITATE POSITIVE ADJUSTMENT TO COMPETITION FROM IMPORTS OF CERTAIN CIRCULAR WELDED CARBON QUALITY LINE PIPE - - - - - - - BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION
NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including but not limited to sections 203 and 604 of the Trade Act, do proclaim that:
(1) In order to establish an increase in duty on imports of certain line pipe classified in HTS subheadings 7306.10.10 and 7306.10.50, subchapter III of chapter 99 of the HTS is modified as provided in the Annex to this proclamation.
(2) Such imported line pipe that is the product of Mexico or of Canada shall not be subject to the increase in duty established by this proclamation.
(3) I hereby suspend, pursuant to section 503(c)(1) of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2463(c)(1)), duty-free treatment for line pipe the product of beneficiary countries under the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) (Title V of the Trade Act, as amended (19 U.S.C. 2461-2467)); pursuant to section 213(e)(1) of the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act, as amended (CBERA) (19 U.S.C. 2703(e)(1)), duty-free treatment for line pipe the product of beneficiary countries under that Act (19 U.S.C. 2701-2707); pursuant to section 204(d)(1) of the Andean Trade Preference Act, as amended (ATPA) (19 U.S.C. 3203(d)(1)), duty-free treatment for line pipe the product of beneficiary countries under that Act (19 U.S.C. 3201-3206); and pursuant to section 403(a) of the Trade and Tariff Act of 1984 (19 U.S.C. 2112 note), duty-free treatment for line pipe the product of Israel under the United States-Israel Free Trade Area Implementation Act of 1985 (the "IFTA Act") (19 U.S.C. 2112 note), to the extent necessary to apply the increase in duty to those products, as specified in the Annex to this proclamation.
(4) Effective at the close of March 1, 2003, or at the close of the date that may earlier be proclaimed by the President as the termination of the import relief set forth in the Annex to this proclamation, the suspension of duty-free treatment under the GSP, the CBERA, the ATPA, and the IFTA Act shall terminate, unless otherwise provided in such later proclamation, and qualifying goods the product of beneficiary countries or of Israel entered under such programs shall again be eligible for duty-free treatment.
(5) Effective at the close of March 1, 2004, or such other date that is 1 year from the close of this relief, the U.S. note and tariff provisions established in the Annex to this procla-mation shall be deleted from the HTS.
(6) Any provisions of previous proclamations and Executive orders that are inconsistent with the actions taken in this proclamation are superseded to the extent of such inconsistency.
(7) The modifications to the HTS made by this proclamation, including the Annex hereto, shall be effective with respect to goods entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after March 1, 2000, and shall continue in effect as provided in the Annex to this proclamation, unless such actions are earlier expressly modified or terminated.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighteenth day of February, in the year of our Lord two thousand, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-fourth.
WILLIAM J. CLINTON
# # #