THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary (Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina) ________________________________________________________________________ For Immediate Release July 30, 1999
TO PROVIDE FOR THE EFFICIENT AND FAIR ADMINISTRATION OF ACTION TAKEN WITH REGARD TO IMPORTS OF LAMB MEAT AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including but not limited to sections 203 and 604 of the Trade Act, and section 301 of title 3, United States Code, do proclaim that:
(1) In order to provide for the efficient and fair administration of the TRQs on imports of fresh, chilled, or frozen lamb meat classified in HTS subheadings 0204.10.00, 0204.22.20, 0204.23.20, 0204.30.00, 0204.42.20, and 0204.43.20, subchapter III of chapter 99 of the HTS is modified as provided for in the Annex to this proclamation.
(2) The United States Trade Representative is authorized to exercise my authority pursuant to section 203(g) of the Trade Act to take all action necessary, including the promulgation of regulations, to administer the TRQs relating to imports of lamb meat provided for in HTS subheadings 0204.10.00, 0204.22.20, 0204.23.20, 0204.30.00, 0204.42.20, and 0204.43.20.
(3) The third sentence of initial paragraph 4 of Proclamation 7202 is hereby stricken and the following sentence is inserted in lieu thereof: "Such action shall take the form of a reduction in the European Community's 1999/2000 wheat gluten quota allotment in the amount of 5,402,000 kg., which represents the amount of wheat gluten that entered the United States in excess of the European Community's 1998 quota allocation."
(4) Any provisions of previous proclamations and Executive orders that are inconsistent with the actions taken in this proclamation are superseded to the extent of such inconsistency. (5) The actions taken in this proclamation shall be effective on the date of signature of this proclamation and shall continue in effect through the close of the dates on which actions proclaimed in Proclamation 7202 and Proclamation 7208 cease to be effective, unless such actions are earlier expressly modified or terminated.
(6) The modifications to the HTS shall be effective with respect to goods exported on or after July 22, 1999, and shall continue in effect as provided in the Annex to this proclamation, unless such actions are earlier expressly modified or terminated.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirtieth day of July, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety-nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-fourth.
WILLIAM J. CLINTON