THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
PRESIDENT CLINTON NAMES JOHN N. ERLENBORN TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE LEGAL SERVICES CORPORATION
The President today announced his intent to nominate John N. Erlenborn to the Board of Directors of the Legal Services Corporation.
John N. Erlenborn of Illinois is currently an adjunct professor at the Georgetown Law Center. He served briefly as a member of the Board of Directors of the Legal Services Corporation as a recess appointee from 1989 to 1990. Previously, Mr. Erlenborn was Of Counsel to Seyfarth, Shaw, Fairweather & Geraldson from 1992 to 1994 and was a Partner with the same firm from 1985 to 1992. He was elected to Congress in 1965, representing the 14th District of Illinois, and served until 1984. Previous appointments include service as a member of the President's Chemical Warfare Review Commission, the ERISA Advisory Council at the Department of Labor, the Labor Relations and Employee Benefits Committees at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and as a U.S. Government Representative for the International Labor Organization. He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Custodial Trust Company and the Aerospace Corporation, and serves as Secretary and Member of the U.S. Association of Former Members of Congress. Mr. Erlenborn obtained a J.D. from Loyola University of Chicago in 1950.
The Legal Services Corporation was established by the Legal Services Corporation Act of 1974. The Board of Directors of the Legal Services Corporation supervises and directs the activities of the Corporation, which provides financial support for indigent clients in non-criminal cases through grants and contracts with individuals, partnerships, firms, corporations, non-profit organizations, and state and local governments.